This is a reading comprehension activity about a poem called “There will come soft rains”.
1.The house was programmed to sing the time each hour and say what It had to do at that moment. “Tick-Tock, seven o’clock, time to get up, time to get up, seven o’clock! This house could also clean and prepare breakfast on her own. “Seven-nine, breakfast time, seven-nine!” “Nine-fifteen, sang the clock, time to clean.”
2. The house was programed to protect the family from natures dangers. But what really killed humanity was technology, what humans created. At the end nature is the one who finally kills technology. This means thatnature is more powerful that men and everything they create.
3. I can learn that the society takes advantage of technology, and that they use technology for things that are not so important. They spent a lot of money on things that they don’t really need. Instead they could spent their money on the world, because we have only one and we have to take care of It.
4. The dog who entered the house was part of the family. He was very thin and covered in sores because he was a domesticated dog and when his owners left him he was without love, without food and without water and he didn’t know how to survive. The dog remains stayed there for like an hour and then, when it was time to clean, the house threw it out as if he was garbage.
5. I think that the family at 2:35 would get together, eat a snack and play cards. At 4:30 the baby’s room would get prepared. “The nursery walls glowed, animals took shape” The house entertained the baby before nap time.
6. “And frogs in the pools singing at night”. Auditory and visual images.
“The bath filled with clear hot water”. Visual and tactile images.
7. I believe there was a nuclear bomb. The west face of the house was black because of the radiation and the silhouettes are from the family members who lived on the house and died because of the nuclear bomb.
8. The house is personified because the writer wants to show us that the house, technology, is superior than us. The fire is also personified: “the fire was clever” “the fire backed off”. It is personified to show us that nature is more powerful and will outlives us like technology.
9. This poem says that although human dies the circle of nature will continue and nature would never care about the existence of humans. “And not one will know of the war, not one will care at last when it is done. Not one would mind , either bird nor tree if mankind perished utterly”
10. At the end of the story the house dies. Bradbury tries to warn us of humans. Humans caused the disappearance of lots of animals, air pollution, global warming and lots of others things. Humans are guilty for their own bad ending, and nor nature or technology will care about us.